Intercession is a prayer of petition which leads us to pray as Jesus did. He is the one intercessor with the Father on behalf of all men, especially sinners. He is “able to for all time save those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.” The Holy Spirit “Himself intercedes for us… for the saints according to the will of God.” – Catechism of the Catholic Church 2634
Yes, you are your “brother’s keeper!” Even though you may be unable to meet his bodily necessities, nevertheless you can always pray for him and – just as the Master of Prayer Jesus Christ has done for us – intercede before God on his behalf. This Spiritual Work of Mercy is the duty of all those who say they follow Christ.
Intercessory Prayer is the subject of the Doctrine of the Communion of Saints. The Church Triumphant in Heaven, constantly before the Throne of God, pray for the suffering souls in Purgatory and us on Earth. The Church Suffering in Purgatory pray without ceasing – with thanksgiving to God for His glory in the saints of Heaven and make intercession for His Militant on Earth. We are the Church Militant on Earth. We thank God for His glorious saints in Heaven and we make intercession for the suffering in our ranks – both on Earth and in Purgatory. The Church Triumphant, the Church Suffering and the Church Militant all form the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church – praying and making intercession on behalf of each other before the Throne of God. As a member of the Church Militant, what have YOU done today to make intercession for your brother.
Since Abraham, intercession – asking on behalf of another – has been characteristic of a heart attuned to God’s mercy. In the age of the Church, Christian intercession participates in Christ’s, as an expression of the communion of saints. In intercession, he who prays looks “not only to his own interests, but those of others,” even to the point of praying for those who do harm. – Catechism of the Catholic Church 2635
My prayer requests for this week are:
- For the preservation of St. Mary’s (Maternity of the Blessed Virgin) Chapel and it’s cemetery.
- For the success of the Fortnight for Freedom campaign.
- For world peace in accord with the peace plan set by Our Lady at Fatima.
- For the Catholic Church as we enter ordinary time.
- For all who are battling cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.
- For martyrs around the world and all who are deprived of religious liberty.
- For a respect of all human life from the moment of natural conception to the moment of natural death.
- For Our Holy Father, Pope Francis.
- For in increase in Vocations – most especially to the Priesthood and Religious Life.
- For all the forgotten, shut-away ill, that they may feel Christ’s healing presence and the comforting love of the Christian community.
In the “post a comment box” below, please post your own prayer request. Note, all of the requests and comments come to me for moderation before they are posted on my site. I will assume that all requests are not meant to remain private and anonyms, unless clearly indicated otherwise in the request. All prayer requests will be prayed for by my family and I, and left in the petition boxes at both the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians at Holy Hill and the Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help. In addition, all posted prayer requests will be posted under this picture of Our Lord’s Real Presence in the Blessed Sacrament – a sort of “virtual Eucharistic Adoration,” if you will.